So many books, so little time...

So many books, so little time...

Thursday 20 May 2010

First new film: something old (1949), something new (to me), something borrowed (from LoveFilm), something... Well, black and white, actually.

Yesterday, I started the new regime with an old Japanese film called Chikamatsu Monogatari, directed by Kenji Mizoguchi. It's a film about adultery and power, set in a time when adultery was actually a crime punishable by death (crucifixion) - so, wildly uplifting stuff! (^_-) An interesting contrast with a film by the same director that I watched last week, The Lady of Musashino, which deals with similar themes in the early 1940s - but I didn't enjoy it as much as TLOM.

Today, I went for a walk in the park. The weather was glorious - hot! Sunny! - and I thought, ahh, if only I had a book with me... Then I realised I DID in fact have a book with me; but it was one I was carrying to lend to a friend, that I have read several times. So, did I sit and read it? No! I sat in the sunshine and contemplated my project instead. Which was nowhere near as entertaining as the book would have been. But never mind.

Next film to watch: 500 Days of Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment